Scuba Diving in the Philippines


I became interested in scuba diving around 2009 as I was planning a summer road trip from Panama City, Panama all the way to Houston Texas. I had planned the trip with plenty of prior research.


The trip itself would take me 6 weeks and I would visit Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, Belize, and Mexico, where a good portion of the trip would be done by hitchhiking, thus saving money. All I can say is that the trip was a complete success after enjoying the many cultural differences of the Spanish-speaking countries I visited on that trip.


One stop on that trip had been the small tropical island of Utila, located on the coast of Honduras. The experience had been great, I had been hooked instantly with this new hobby. There I had trained and received my open water scuba diving certification. After a few dives, I knew I had to do this again. It was another world under the sea that I had only seen on television, but it was much more exciting to live.


After four or five days, I had left Utila with the certification and another 6 years would pass before I had once again the opportunity to dive again.


In mid-2015 I had moved to China for work and on the Chinese New Year of 2016, I had the perfect opportunity to bring back the good memories and the chance to refresh my rusty diving skills.


After a short flight of about 5 hours from Shanghai to Manila, I had experienced a world of change from the freezing cold of February in China to the heat and humidity of the country with over 7,000 islands. The scuba diving trip there had been perfectly arranged with a small hotel and scuba school called Thresher Cove on the small island of Malapascua. There my plans were to get my rescue and advanced open water certifications on a two-week stretch, with a two-day break to travel from Cebu City to Iloilo for a wedding.


After arriving late in Manila and staying at a local hostel, it had been a bad idea to stay late with some guys I had to meet there to play pool and have a few drinks because the next morning I had an early flight to Cebu City.  I had arrived at the airport on time, but I had fallen asleep on the benches and missed my flight. To my surprise, when I had awaked and after getting really upset at myself, I had learned that I could buy a ticket for the next flight for about $ 30 dollars, so I quickly got over it and I was on my way south.

I had arrived without a problem at Cebu City that afternoon and booked a hotel for the night in town. The city was quite beautiful, although very crowded with some important Catholic celebration in the center of town that seemed to have everyone going crazy. On the other hand, presidential elections were on the way. The mixture of religion and politics was obvious, it had everyone talking about one or the other. I knew this because I could communicate with the locals with some of my Spanish and they would understand me without a problem and as well they tried to start a conversation with me and I could understand them a little. It’s incredible how much you can talk and learn about other people’s culture over food and drinks.


The next morning, I headed to the bus station where I took a minibus to the town of Maya on the northeast part of the island; a 5-hour ride that seemed endless. On the way, I remember telling myself that it was all worth it because I was once more going to dive. After arriving at the town of Maya, the bus had made a few stops around town and the last one had been mine, right by the coast, where some boats awaited for those wanting to go to Malapascua.


The about thirty-minute ride to the small island had been great. I had enjoyed the fresh wind and the splashing of the waves against the boat that caused some mist to hit my face. After a short motorcycle ride to my hostel, I had literally dived in my bed.


The days were counted, so I had to begin my training the next day. The staff at Thresher had been amazing and they had arranged my dives, my instructor and all I needed to do in order to get my certification within the time I had. The several boats leaving the hotel at different times had been a plus to fit with my schedule. On that same day, I had been given a quick training to refresh the basic skills I had learned years ago. I had been tested to make sure I could perform well at open sea the following day.


Early morning on day two, I had jumped on the boat that took us to open sea for the real deal. My instructor had been great, she was from Spain and it was great to be trained in my native language.


Over the next few days, I had been trained first on rescue diving skills, such as breathing under stressful situations, how to help others in distress and most importantly, how to be and stay safe while doing all this. My instructor had been quite smart to save the best for last. The Advanced open water diving training had relieved me from all the stressing situations I had been placed under the first week.


I had taken a break after the Rescue Diving training and flown to Iloilo for the wedding of a couple of colleagues from work. This had also served as a way to relax a little, although the bus ride back and forth from the town of Maya to Cebu had been exhausting.


On the second leg of my training, I had learned much more about safety, buoyancy, and skills that I had not learned on my very first certification years earlier. The best part to me was that with this training, I could dive deeper; I wanted to explore more of that underwater world.


The final day of the training was to dive to the Thresher area where the known Thresher sharks roamed. It had been a great experience seeing sharks roaming right before my very own eyes. After lunch on the boat and a rest before our next dive, we had been taken to Gato Island, literally a huge rock in the sea. There the task was to go cave diving under the island and in the center of the cave, stop at a nest of Thresher sharks that bred there. I was amazed by the experience.


My training was over and I had successfully received my certifications. I had mastered how to stay in control while diving in stressful situations and not to panic in front of the Thresher sharks.


On my way back to China, I had stopped once more in Cebu and walked around the city, as well around Manila before my return. I had learned so much during this trip and it would be another experience that I would treasure for the rest of my life. Where to next to scuba dive? I have heard a lot about Koh Tao in Thailand. Perhaps that is where I will head over for some more underwater adventure.



Reader Donations

If you like the articles you read at Travel and Food, then we would appreciate very much a reader donation. This would only encourage us to keep posting more information, pictures, and videos of the places we have visited and continue to visit each year. It is our hope that the information you read on our website is useful to you. If you share this information it would also mean a lot to us. Thanks and happy travels!


Buceando en Filipinas


Me interesé en el buceo alrededor del año 2009 ya que entonces estaba planeando un viaje de verano por tierra desde la Ciudad de Panamá, Panamá, hasta Houston, Texas. Había planeado el viaje con mucha investigación previa.


El viaje en sí me llevaría 6 semanas y visitaría Panamá, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, Belice y México, donde una buena parte del viaje se haría haciendo autostop, ahorrando así dinero. Todo lo que puedo decir es que el viaje fue un éxito después de disfrutar de las muchas diferencias culturales de los países de habla hispana que visité en ese viaje.


Una parada en ese viaje había sido la pequeña isla tropical de Utila, ubicada en la costa caribe de Honduras. La experiencia había sido genial, me había enganchado al instante con este nuevo pasatiempo. Allí me había entrenado y recibido mi certificación de buceo en aguas abiertas (open wáter). Después de algunas inmersiones, supe que tenía que hacer esto otra vez. El mundo submarino era otro mundo que solo había visto en la televisión, pero era mucho más emocionante vivirlo.

Después de cuatro o cinco días, dejé Utila con la certificación y pasaron otros 6 años antes de volver a tener la oportunidad de bucear.

A mediados del 2015 me había mudado a China por motivos de trabajo y en el Año Nuevo chino del 2016, tuve la oportunidad perfecta para refrescar mis habilidades y conocimientos casi olvidados del buceo.


Después de un corto vuelo de aproximadamente 5 horas desde Shanghái a Manila, experimenté un cambio radical del frío de febrero en China al calor y la humedad del país con más de 7,000 islas. El viaje lo había organizado con un pequeño hotel y escuela de buceo llamada Thresher Cove en la pequeña isla de Malapascua. Mis planes eran obtener mis certificaciones de buceo de rescate y la certificación avanzada de buceador en aguas abiertas en un período de dos semanas. Entre cada certificación, el plan también consistía con un descanso de dos días para viajar de Cebú City a Iloilo para asistir a una boda.


Después de llegar tarde a Manila y quedarme en un albergue local, había sido una mala idea quedarme hasta tarde con algunos con los que me puse a jugar al billar y a beber porque a la mañana siguiente tenía un vuelo temprano a Cebú City. Logré llegar a tiempo al aeropuerto, pero me dormí en los bancos esperando el vuelo y perdí mi vuelo. Para mi sorpresa, cuando me había despertado y después de molestarme mucho con mí mismo, supe que podía comprar un boleto para el próximo vuelo por aproximadamente $ 30 dólares, así que el enojo paso rápido y en pocas horas estaba en el sur del país paradisiaco.


Esa tarde había llegado sin problemas a Cebú y reservé un hotel para pasar la noche en la ciudad. La ciudad era bastante hermosa, aunque estaba muy llena de alguna importante celebración católica en el centro de la ciudad que parecía tener a todos enloquecidos. Por otro lado, las elecciones presidenciales estaban en camino. La mezcla de religión y política era obvia, tenía a toda la gente local hablando sobre uno u otro tema. Sabía esto porque podía comunicarme con los lugareños con algo de mi español y ellos me entendían sin problemas y al intentar iniciar una conversación conmigo yo también podía entenderles un poco. Es increíble cuánto puedes hablar y aprender sobre la cultura de otras personas a través de una simple conversación y comida.


A la mañana siguiente, me dirigí a la estación de autobuses donde tomé un minibús a la ciudad de Maya en la parte noreste de la isla; Un viaje de 5 horas que pareció ser interminable. En el camino, recuerdo que me dije a mí mismo que todo valía la pena porque una vez más iba a bucear. Después de llegar a la ciudad de Maya, el autobús hizo algunas paradas alrededor del pueblo y la última fue la mía, justo al lado de la costa, donde algunos barcos ligeros esperaban a aquellos que querían ir a Malapascua.


El viaje de unos treinta minutos a la pequeña isla había sido genial. Disfruté del viento fresco y las salpicaduras de las olas contra el bote. Finalmente, había llegado a mi destino y después de un corto viaje en motocicleta a mi albergue, literalmente me sumergí en mi cama.


Los días estaban contaros, así que tuve que comenzar mi entrenamiento al día siguiente. El personal de Thresher había sido increíble y habían organizado mis clases, sesiones de buceo, mi instructor y todo lo que tenía que hacer para obtener mi certificación dentro del tiempo que tenía disponible. Los varios barcos que salían del hotel en diferentes horas del día para hacer buceo habían sido un punto a favor para mi agenda. Ese mismo día, me habían dado un entrenamiento rápido para actualizar las habilidades básicas que había aprendido años atrás. Me habían hecho pruebas para asegurarse de que podría desempeñarme bien en mar abierto al día siguiente.


Temprano en la mañana del segundo día, me subí al bote que nos llevó a mar abierto para la prueba real. Mi instructor había sido excelente, ella era de España y fue genial recibir toda la información e instrucciones en mi idioma nativo.


Durante los siguientes días, me entrenaron primero en habilidades de buceo de rescate, como respirar en situaciones estresantes, cómo ayudar a otros en apuros y, lo más importante, cómo mantenerme seguro mientras hacia todo eso. Mi instructor había sido bastante inteligente para guardar lo mejor para el final. El entrenamiento de buceo avanzado en aguas abiertas me había aliviado de todas las situaciones estresantes en las que me habían colocado durante la primera semana.


Antes de comenzar el segundo entrenamiento, me tomé un descanso y viajé a Iloilo para la boda de un par de colegas del trabajo. Esto también había servido como una forma de relajarme un poco, aunque el viaje en autobús de la ciudad de Maya a Cebú ida y vuelta había sido agotador.


En la segunda etapa de mi entrenamiento, había aprendido mucho más sobre seguridad, flotabilidad y habilidades que no había aprendido en mi primera certificación años antes. La mejor parte para mí fue que con este entrenamiento, podría bucear a más profundidad; quería explorar más de ese mundo submarino.


El último día de la capacitación fue bucear en el área donde deambulaban los conocidos tiburones trilladores. Había sido una gran experiencia ver a los tiburones merodeando ante mis propios ojos. Después del almuerzo en el bote y un descanso antes de nuestra próxima inmersión, nos llevaron a la isla Gato, una enorme roca en el mar. Allí la tarea era ir a bucear en cuevas debajo de la isla y en el centro de ella, detenernos en un nido de tiburones trilladores que se criaban allí. La experiencia fue increíble.

Con tantas cosas por hacer, estudio, practica y un poco de diversión, los días habían pasado rápidamente y entrenamiento había terminado; había recibido con éxito mis certificaciones. Había dominado la forma de mantener el control mientras buceaba en situaciones estresantes, aprender cómo ayudar a otros y no sentir pánico frente a los tiburones trilladores.

En mi camino de regreso a China, me detuve una vez más en Cebú y caminé por la ciudad, así como por Manila. Aprendí mucho durante este viaje y es otra experiencia que atesorare por el resto de mi vida. ¿A dónde iré a bucear próximamente? He oído mucho sobre Ko Tao en Tailandia. Quizás sea allí donde me dirigiré para mi próxima aventura submarina más.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s